A big deal: switching my default Linux server

I've been a big fan of Debian and Ubuntu for many years and the *.deb family has been my go-to choice for Desktop, Server, and IoT. Recently I was surprised to discover their kernel doesn't support MOBIKE so I was forced to investigate RHEL variants. Since Red Hat discontinued development of CentOS a few years ago (and additional profit-motivated shenanigans earlier this year), the two main contenders that emerged were Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux. The former is owned by a private corporation that tags itself as a "self-imposed not-for-profit" whereas the latter is a true 501(c) nonprofit. AlmaLinux for the win!

To be honest, I wasn't expecting too much so maybe that's why I was blown away by how fast it was and how up-to-date its software release packages were. It's still early days, but they may have won over another fan.

P.S. If I like it enough I may even try out their Pantheon Desktop Environment for my local computer (sorry, Lubuntu!).

Comments

Popular Posts