Goodbye Lubuntu, old friend. Hello, Zorin OS! --- UPDATED


UPDATE #3
: I wasn't impressed with Xubuntu (UI used to be stellar but support and quality seems to have dwindled over the years) so I switched back to my trusted Lubuntu.  I guess some operating systems are timeless -- sorry for ever doubting you!

P.S. The packaged LibreOffice was buggy so I uninstalled it and went with WPS Office:

cd /tmp
git clone https://github.com/iamdh4/ttf-wps-fonts.git
cd ttf-wps-fonts
sudo bash install.sh
rm -rf /tmp/ttf-wps-fonts
sudo snap install wps-office

____________________


UPDATE #2
: I wasn't impressed with Elementary OS (felt like a kindergarten UI made by Walt Disney) so I switched to Xubuntu.

____________________


UPDATE: I wasn't impressed with Zorin OS (sparse menu and slow) so I switched to Elementary OS.

____________________

After many years of dedicated and loyal service, I finally wore out Lubuntu and decided it was time for a change.  After some research I decided on Zorin OS Core.  It's based on Ubuntu so I get all the great features of that ecosystem while still being easy on the eyes and lightweight on the opinions.  After just a short time with it the only change that was a must was changing the terminal from white to "Tango dark":


The other nit which will take a little getting used to is the action button on most popups is in the top-right (rather than the traditional bottom-right) corner:


The next challenge was adding a second user.  The users screen was buried in Start > Settings > Details > Users and I had to click Unlock before the Add User button appeared.

Finally, I've given up on LibreOffice (their UI is just too clunky) and I'm trying out FreeOffice.

Comments

Popular Posts