A modern bank




I decided this week to spend a little time investigating modern banks.  By "modern" I don't mean glass-walled skyscrapers, I mean neobanks -- a type of direct bank that operates exclusively online without traditional physical branch networks.  These banks pass along significant savings to customers in the form of low or no fees.  For my research I wanted:
  • A checking account with no minimum balance, no annual fees, and a free debit card with no (or reimbursed) ATM fees and international transactions
  • FDIC insured
  • A savings account with high yield interest rates
  • An investment account that supports SEP IRA, automatic fund rebalancing, tax-loss harvesting, and 0.25% monthly fees or lower
  • Android mobile app with good reviews
Here are my results:

Top Pick: Betterment

Pros:
Cons:

Others Researched:
_________________

Hopefully one of those options above will lead you to a solution that helps you manage your money prudently so 15% of your paycheck can go toward retirement financial happiness*

* based on this 2018 Purdue study, which you can adjust for inflation

Comments

Popular Posts