Router: to buy or build?


I've been in the market for a new Wi-Fi router.  I wanted a gigabit WAN port, at least one gigabit LAN port, 802.11ac Wave 2 (MU-MIMO, etc.) with at least 1900Mbps performance, and preferably beamforming and band-steering.

I spent a few days debating about building a router from scratch.  Tyler Langlois built a router for $50 but it didn't have Wi-Fi.  When I looked for Single-Board Cards (SBCs) that supported 802.11ac and had two gigabit ports my options were pretty limited.  The closest I could come up with was the $59 Komikan DVK (only one port is gigabit, though) with a max combined data rate of 1167Mbps.  When you add in a $10 USB-C power cord and another $20 for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz external antennas, you're up to at least $89 (not including a case which you would presumably 3D print or build out of Legos).

In the end I decided to just invest $86.50 in a Xiaomi Mi Router Pro R3P which gives me Wave 2 and 2533Mbps.  I use their app to configure since the web console is in Chinese  :)


Comments

Popular Posts